Your pets need attention and need, as well as yourself, fun. Make this a toy for cats, which will hold the attention.
This is a real entertainment for your cat. A scraper does so tightly wrap and tape the very narrow pieces around the board.
- two 1″ x 3″ x 24″ pieces of wood
- mitre box and saw
- 1/4″ sisal rope
- hot glue gun
- neon pink string
- leather cord
- drill with 3/8″ bit
- wood glue
- yarn and embroidery thread in a variety of colors
- wood beads
- wood dowel
For the cat scratch door hanger:
1. Measure the boards and make a mark at 22″. Cut the boards at a 30-degree angle and sand all sides with sandpaper to remove any splinters.
2. Spread a line of wood glue onto the shorter edge of one board.
3. Clamp the two pieces together with the edges flush. Use a damp cloth to clean off any excess glue before it dries.
4. Measure a 12″ length on the back of the wood piece and draw a straight line to indicate where the rope will start and stop.
5. Run a thin line of glue along the drawn line and attached one end of rope to the back of the board.
6. Continue wrapping the rope tightly around the board, running a line of glue along the front underneath each previous line of rope and pressing the rope into it to adhere.
7. Once the rope is wrapped entirely around the board and glued into place, tie several strands of pink string around the board at different intervals.
8. Drill two small holes near the top of the board (at least 1″ in from all sides) for the leather hanging cord.
9. Cut a 10″ or longer strand of leather cord (depending on where you plan to hang the cat scratcher) and tie a knot at one end. Thread the cord through the right hole from front to back, then back through the left hole to the front. Tie a knot at the other end of the cord to secure.