Sweet, salty, spicy, sticky and succulent all rolled into one – just a warning, these are totally addictive. They’re also baked, not fried and EASY!
For the brine:
- 1 ½ quart cool water
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
For the chicken:
- 3 pounds uncooked chicken wings
- freshly ground black pepper
For the glaze:
- 1 ¼ cup strawberry jam
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger or ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons Sriacha sauce
- sesame seeds for garnish
- finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- To prepare the brine, combine the water, kosher salt and sugar in a large bowl. Stir for 30 seconds to 1 minute till salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Add chicken wings, cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- While wings are brining, prepare the sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium size pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a very low, but constant simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then set aside to cool.
- Line one sheet pan with several thicknesses of paper towels and another with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 425.
- Drain chicken well, then spread out on the paper towel lined sheet pan. Pat dry with more paper towels. Allow to sit on paper towels for another 10 minutes, then discard paper towels and transfer wings to parchment paper lined pan. (You want the wings as dry as possible.)
- Spread wing pieces out on parchment lined sheet pan so that pieces are not touching. Sprinkle liberally with freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 15 minutes then flip with a tongs to opposite side and bake another 15 minutes.
- While wings are baking, prepare sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a medium size sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low, constant simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then set aside to cool.
- Remove wings from the oven and increase oven temperature to 475˚F.
- Transfer 5 tablespoons of the sauce to a large bowl. Transfer wings to bowl and toss to coat. Discard parchment paper and any accumulated grease.
- Line a sheet pan with foil (for easy clean up) and set awire cooling rack in the pan (or on top of pan). Spray wire rack liberally with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and brush ribs liberally with sauce. Return to oven for another 5 minutes then repeat brushing with sauce. If wings are not deeply mahogany-hued, repeat brushing with glaze and 5 minutes in the oven one more time.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then sprinkle with finely chopped cilantro or parsley. Serve and enjoy!