In the recipe, you will see that you could use either vanilla or almond extract. We did batches of each and they were both wonderful, although my kids like the almond extract better. * if it is almond flavored or imitation almond extract than there is NO nuts in it. PURE almond extract would.
Also I have to make a note about all-purpose gluten free flours. I use Bobs Red Mill AP GF flour in all of my recipe development. I encourage you to experiment with other brands if they are more readily available to you- BUT please make sure that the flour doesn’t have xanthum gum in it. Or if it does, please do not add more per the recipe instructions. You will wind up with WEIRD and or GROSS results! I do not want that for you!
- 2½ cups All Purpose Gluten Free Flour (I use Bobs Red Mill)
- 1 ½ cups powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup Vegan Butter at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk (from a refrigerated carton not a can)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two sheetpans with parchment or silpats.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer combine all of the dry ingredients. Add the room temperature vegan butter in chunks and mix until you have a dry crumbly dough. Add the coconut milk and beat until the dough comes together. It will be uniform but sticky.
- Transfer all of the dough to a sheet of wax paper and use the paper to form the dough into a disc. Refrigerate the dough in the wax paper for 10 minutes.
- Dust a work surface with powdered sugar and then roll out the dough with a little more and a rolling pin. You want the dough to be about ⅛ inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut the shapes and transfer them to the prepared sheet pans. The dough will spread slightly so leave the cookies a little room on the pans. If you want to add sprinkles to the cookies, do this now- otherwise you can ice them when they are baked and cooled.
- Bake the cookies until they are just barely turning golden around the edges, 8-10 minutes. Let the cookies cool for at least 10-15 minutes before transferring them with a spatula to a cooling rack.
- When they are completely cool, ice them with Vegan Royal Icing. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the freezer.