Easy grilled chicken sandwiches with the gourmet flavor of French onion soup and loads of Gruyere cheese. Perfect for a weeknight dinner, campfire, or backyard barbecue.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved crosswise and pounded to 1-inch thickness, if necessary
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 cups baby spinach
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sugar; cook 25 minutes or until onions are deeply caramelized, stirring frequently. This step can be done up to 3 days in advance. Re-warm onions in microwave or in a small pan on grill before proceeding.
- Preheat grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Spray chicken with nonstick spray. Transfer chicken to hot grill rack; cover and cook 10 minutes or until chicken loses its pink color throughout and internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F, turning once.
- Place cheese slices on chicken pieces. Cover and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Build sandwiches using hamburger buns, spinach, chicken and caramelized onions.