Take taco night to the next level with these Baked Bell Pepper Tacos! With instructions for vegan, vegetarian, and paleo options, these peppers are ready to transform your typical taco fare with a clean-eating twist!
- 4 large bell peppers
- 3-4 cups taco filling (see below)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese, extra as desired
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 3/4 cup chopped lettuce
- cilantro and lime, as a tasty edible garnish
FEISTY FILLING OPTIONS:
a. 1lb ground beef, chicken, or turkey – seasoned your favorite way and browned on the stove-top! I use a combination of enchilada sauce (homemade or store bought) and homemade taco seasoning to flavor mine, plus a little mexican hot sacue for a kick! You can also make your protein option in advance and keep in the fridge for 2-3 days or freezer for emergency taco night filling. This also works with my lentil-veggie taco filling too!
b. 3-4 cups Lentil Veggie Taco Filling
c. 3-4 cups Seasoned tofu (like chipotle-style sofritos)
d. 2 cups Refried Beans or black beans + 1-2 cups sautéed veggies
TASTY TOPPINGS (choose your favorites)
- shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- sliced jalapeños
- fresh or leftover grilled/roasted/sautéed veggies
- fresh chopped avocado
- pico de gallo
- salsa verde
- lime wedges, for a burst of citrus
- Looking for extra crunch? Try crumbling a few tortilla chips on top of your bell peppers or serve them with a side of chips and salsa!
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Choose your protein option(s) from the above list and cook via preferred method.
- Slice each bell pepper in half. Hollow out each pepper, removing stem, seeds, etc…
- Lay peppers on a baking sheet and cook for 8-10 minutes until al-tente or for 10-15 minutes for softer peppers.
- Fill each pepper to the brim with your taco filling of choice (see above for tasty options; I made mine t-rex this time around) and top with cheese.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes, then pile mile-high with all your favorite taco toppings! Anything goes on taco night!
Though I included the measurements I used for 8 bell pepper tacos, feel free to double, triple, or halve the recipe as desired.
To fit your dietary needs, choose your own ideal combination of toppings and fillings from the lists above. The version I photographed was of the T-rex variety but snagging one of the vegan or vegetarian filling options I posted above will help you stick with your plan! You can also mix and match the fillings. Combine black beans and sautéed veggies with any of the protein options from ground turkey to tofu. Have fun with it!