No bones about it, these recipes are doggone delicious.
Oat and Apple Pretzel Dog Treats!
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Oat Flour
- 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 1 free range egg, beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Beat egg and set aside.
- Combine applesauce, oat flour, and rolled oats in a large bowl. Pour all but 1 tablespoon of the egg over the mixture and set aside the remaining 1 tablespoon of egg.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until a dough forms. The dough should be tacky but not overly sticky. Add a bit more or less flour if necessary.
- Take a two tablespoon sized piece of dough (approximate) and roll into a tube. It should be about 10 inches long and about the width of a pencil.
- Take each tube and make into a U shape, then twist the ends together and fold back to the top. This makes the pretzel shape. Pinch the ends in to make sure they’re secure.
- Place the pretzels onto the baking tray. Brush the top of each pretzel with the remaining egg.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until they’re slightly browned and become crispy. The pretzels should be pretty hard, just like pups love them!
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Coconut Oil Dog Treats!
- Equal parts softened coconut oil
- peanut butter (I did about 1 cup of each)
- 1 medium banana
- Place your peeled banana, peanut butter and coconut oil into a bowl and smash together with the backside of a spoon.
- The softer your peanut butter and oil, the easier this will combine. It’s okay to have it a little chunky (just cut your baggie’s corner a little larger to accomodate).
- Once mixed together, fill a plastic baggie with the mixture. Snip the corner with scissors and squeeze the mixture into your mold (silicone molds work great since they are flexible and let you pop the treats right out. You can also find so many different sizes and shapes.).
Carrot Oat Applesauce Treats!
- 1/2 cup oats (quick for dogs, quick, steel-cut or old-fashioned are fine for horses)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup (about 1 large) carrot, finely grated
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and cover a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Mix all four ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Use a tablespoon to drop clumps of the mixture on to the baking tray. Shape if you wish.*
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until treats are set.